Tuesday 18 December 2012

You learn something new... and sometimes wish you didn't

And today I learned of a traditional Christmas game, popular throughout the nineteenth century apparently, called Hot Cockles.  It seems those crazy uptight Victorians particularly enjoyed a game which consisted of burying your face in another person's lap and guessing who hits you from behind.

This game both confuses and scares me.  Clearly whoever came up with it was channeling Christian Grey or something because it sounds like a combination of physical and sexual abuse for funsies, oh those crazy Victorians.

For all the world may seem to be going to hell in a handbasket at times, it is comforting to know that this game, for all its previous popularity, is not played anymore.  To my knowledge.  And I'd really rather keep it that way so if you shove your face in someone else's privates while people hit you, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T TELL ME!

My attention was brought to this through a webcomic I enjoy immensely called Lit Brick which if you know it at all, shouldn't surprise you in the slightest.  If you don't know it I recommend you check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment