Sunday 9 December 2012

Moving can be fun

Today I helped a theatre company move their scenery store.  This is very much like moving house, but bigger and more unwieldy.  It has however taught me something pretty major, when you're helping a friend move and you're surrounded by people you get along with pretty well, it can be a fun activity.

I say when you're helping a friend move because I have personally moved house six times since I've been old enough to actually have a hand in the moving and none of these were enjoyable experiences.  There is a ridiculous amount of stress involved and I'm considering just setting everything on fire and starting from scratch next time.  But I digress.

When you take the stress of it being your life that is put in boxes and whisked to a brand new location out of the equation, however, it becomes a surprisingly enjoyable activity.  Although it is very physically active work (it feels like I won't need to exercise for the rest of the week) it doesn't take a huge amout of thinking and doesn't stop you from talking.  Spending a whole day doing this allows for much conversation and social goodness.

Seriously, because of my weird schedule with uni, like half the people there were friends I hadn't seen in almost six months and it was really good to have a chance to catch up without needing to feel bad for cancelling something important vital that I couldn't get out of anyway so why even bother trying.  And, as an added bonus, everyone had that great sense of achievement afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment