Tuesday 11 December 2012

I finally get it.

As an owner/operator of a set of balls, I have been kind of satisfied that I'd never seen either Mean Girls or Bring It On as I had been assured they fall squarely into the category of "you will not enjoy this film unless you have the capacity to ovulate, a tendency to eat copious amounts of chocolate when sad, and are avoiding doing maths homework.  Not having seen these films, I have just descovered, has meant that I have missed out on soooo many pop culture references.

For a few weeks now I have been frequently told by friends that I should see them both so that I can officially be part of the 21st century.  Today I had absolutely nothing else on so I decided to bite the bullet an watch them both, and I have to say, they were not bad.  Well played friends, well played.


I now understand the following quotes, presented in gif format for your viewing pleasure:

I do musical theatre so I've been saying this one for years anyway.  Source

My friends do in fact say this - far more often could possibly be called for.  Source

I know at least one person who knows this cheer (including moves) off by heart, her reciting this to me may or may not have been what convinced me to actually watch this film.  Source


And of course how could I not like this scene, it's Eliza Dushku dancing all sexy like! Source


As for Mean Girls:

Its been eight years since this film came out and I only now understand the many long and boring conversations about whether fetch is going to happen eventually.  Source

Overnight everyone went from saying "there is no limit" to "the limit does not exist" I now realise why.  Source

30% chance has in fact come to simply mean yes for so many people I know.  Source

Also, I now get so many more of the pop culture references in blogs and generally online that refer to these movies, how have I survived so long without understanding this?  Stuff at Snark Squad (which is awesome) is particularly good at referencing both these films, I strongly urge people to check it out, for no other reason that it's awesome and deserves more readers.

There you go, I now get to consider myself officially a part of the 21st century apparently.

...Unless there are other major gaps in my pop culture experience, like committing some sort of terrible faux par involved in the use of gifs or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment