Monday 19 November 2012

Not Perfect

Although I like to think I have tremendous amounts of patience with others, I'm not so good at the whole patience with myself thing.

Usually this isn't a problem and in fact it is often quite a good thing because it helps me to motivate myself to work on necessary but unpleasant tasks when I'd rather be doing something else.  At the moment, though, it is definitely a problem and this is because I see all these other blogs from people who have been blogging for a very long time and my first reaction tends to be "ooh, so good, why can't I make interesting and easily readable posts like them?"

The answer being, of course, that they have been blogging for a very long time, usually several years, while I have been blogging for a little over a week now.  That doesn't stop it from being extremely frustrating.

I don't particularly like showing work to anyone until it is perfect and because of that I often don't end up doing anything with it at all, this is one of the reasons I started blogging, so that I can get used to putting stuff out there that maybe isn't as polished as I'd like because it doesn't need to be perfect for this forum.

However, I'm not doing particularly well at this, I don't find it easy to actually post entries.  The writing is fine, but the posting is not as easy.  This post I'm writing now is on its third fourth draft, and I have spent far longer than I intended to.  Somehow, even though I am inflicting a fairly labourious editing process on myself the posts still feel pretty stream of consciousness which feels good because I haven't done much stream of consciousness writing and its good to know I can do it, or at least kinda fake it.

So yeah, I'll keep blogging, and try not to spend as much time editing as I do writing it all in future.  Mainly because while I'm not so good at patience with myself, I'm even worse at quitting things before I'm done - even when I probably should.

Also, bonus points if you knew the title was a Tim Minchin reference, because that song rather sums up how I feel about the blog so far, "Its not perfect, but its mine."

No comments:

Post a Comment