Sunday 11 November 2012

Fun with Comic Sans

So for those of you who don't know, I'm something of a language nerd, I tend to be a little like Stephen Fry in the following:


Except that I cannot manage to say capable in such a wonderful way (and yes I tried for at least thrity seconds) and I am occasionally somewhat more obsessive about my love of language.

What is less well know is that I am a also a bit of a font nerd, not in the way that gets me strange looks at dinner parties because I'm going all Mr DeMartino about how IKEA should have stuck with Futura rather than switching to Verdana (and yes I do know people like that, eye popping and all), but rather in that this book has pride of place on my bookshelves:

The fact that I already happened to have an image of the cover on my computer speaks volumes doesn't it?

This rather long and possibly confusing introduction to the topic of this post is merely leading to my contention that Comic Sans (yes, I know, hideous, evil, etc.) isn't as bad as everyone would have you believe, it just hasn't found its niche yet.  I personally, am not much of a fan of this font and it seems Blogger isn't either as it isn't an option for this space, but I was thinking about this today while reading a pamphlet which claimed to be from a legitimate company and was mostly written in Comic Sans.

The only conclusion I was coming to was that somehow I'd ended up the on the receiving end of some sort of joke and I was simply not reading enough sarcasm into the statements.  It was at this point I had an epiphany.  I've heard many people claim that what the internet desperately needs is a sarcasm font and I agree, the people who use the internet the most seem to be the people who want to be sarcastic the most, and I reckon that Comic Sans could be the right font for the job.

So we let us all come together to get Comic Sans out of the font dole queue and working as a useful and respected way of giving meaning to this most treasured thing we humans do - writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment