Monday 11 February 2013

"Sigh"

I have a friend who always insists on writing omgosh in online chat to show that she isn't blaspheming.  This got me thinking about the number of people who say this but are atheists, shouldn't they say omct rather than omg as they believe in the chaos theory rather than any sort of god.  As an agnostic I feel I should probably write omubogapdpttsiitfohawmomnae (oh my unspecified being of great and possibly divine power that takes some interest in the fate of humanity and who may or may not actually exist) although possibly worded differently for the sake of not taking up almost an entire twitter post just to write the acronym.

I mention this first because it amuses me a little.  There is a particular language usage doesn't amuse me in the slightest, though, and that is people who say sigh.

Now I'm not talking about the word in general, it is a great word that is useful to describe a forceful outlet of breath.  No, I'm talking about people who say sigh instead of actually sighing, or worse those who sigh and then feel the need to emphasise it by saying sigh afterwards.

My issue with this is that a sigh is supposed to signify that whatever is being sighed at is not great, but it isn't terrible either, it's just meh.  Spending additional energy forming the word rather than just breathing out heavily is far too much work for something that wasn't worth the effort in the first place.  And yes I realise that I am doing the same thing by writing an entire post about it...

Well at least she didn't say sigh at me.  Source

My theory is that ranting about it here will make it easier for me to put up with it when my friends say it, which is far too often.  Then again, I have been informed that it annoys others when I use weird worth order such as "my liking is of the not so much variety" or try and enlarge the English language with things like "nonsensicality" so I probably shouldn't complain about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment