Sunday 7 April 2013

The Pretense of Adulthood

So I've decided that I should probably stop pretending that I'm a responsible adult type person and admit that for all intents and purposes I'm still roughly eight years old.

I have good reason for this conclusion, I spent most of yesterday playing board games, watching cartoons, reading comics and playing video games and eating almost every variety of food that is guaranteed to give you either diabetes or a heart attack.  Also, but I did all of this with a group of friends, all roughly my age, who also claim to be adults, some even responsible ones.

These are all things that I am regularly told are for kids and I should have grown out of it by now and, oh my absolute favourite, that I "should act more my age" which I'm starting to understand just means be more boring.  I don't, however, intend to let anyone else tell me what I should and shouldn't enjoy doing at what age - if I'm not hurting anybody and I'm not breaking the law then butt the hell out.

So I've decided not to bother pretending that I'm an adult with adult sensibilities.  I like YA fiction, I like wasting summer afternoons playing with water pistols and winter afternoons playing with nerf guns, I like my music too loud and my drinks too strong, and I enjoy awkward jokes about various bodily excretions more that I should.

Source is probably somewhere on Tumblr

I'm going to try and be more confident about it and not try and hide that I have the maturity of a squirrel with ADHD.  Except in job interviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment